Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Education

Monday starts a new journey for me.  I will be starting my freshman year online at New River Community College.  I have been out of school for 15 years, at first I was terrified about taking classes online, or at all honestly.  I always wanted to go to college while in high school, but I was never decided on what I wanted to do.  Life happened and I didn't go, but I am glad that I waited since I know what I want to do now.

I am planning on getting my Associates of Science in General Education.  That may change as I talk with my advisor on which is my best option.  I can go with a liberal arts program, and I will have more freedom for certain classes.  However, that also requires 2 semesters of foreign language.  My previous experience with it are telling me not to, but for a business aspect I think it would be beneficial.

I took Latin in 6th and 7th grade, and Spanish in 8th and 9th.  I honestly didn't enjoy either class, and I barely retained anything over the years.  Vocabulary wasn't the hard part, but the usage, pronouns etc, I hated that in English, so in a different language it made it that much worse.  If I decided to go that route, I would probably choose German, as I think it would be the most beneficial to me in the long run.

Several of my family lines are from Germany, I run across some information that was in German and I would love to be able to read it to see what exactly it pertains to.  I would also love to be able to translate my Aunt Donna's family bible that is in German.  I am not on board with the decision yet, but I am not 100% against it either.

I was able to start one of my classes early, College Success Skills, and I have completed the 14 weeks of assignments.  All I have left to complete is my final Exam, which is a 500 word essay.  I only have to wait until everything is available online Monday to do that.  It was a very easy class, but I did learn quite a bit.  It focused on things like how to study more efficiently but spend less time actually studying, taking good notes, how to prepare for exams, stress and anxiety etc.

The other classes I am taking this semester are Computer Business Applications, College Composition I, United States History and Principals of Psychology. I checked out my professors on ratemyprofessor.com and all but one has great ratings.  I am pretty excited to get started.  Although I initially wasn't sure which of my social electives I would be interested in, I am pretty stoked to be taking Psych, and plan to take a second course later specifically about children.  It really doesn't relate to my business plans, but like my advisor told me, I need to take some classes for fun.

Last week my kids started school, one in 1st grade and the other in 7th grade.  Their first week went well, although the youngest is a bear to get up in the morning, no matter what time she gets in bed.  My mother reminded me I was always difficult to get up as a child.  I still am not a morning person to be honest.

I am very excited, but nervous as well, I hope that I am able to keep up with a full class schedule each semester.  I don't think it will be a problem though, I just got to remind myself I don't have time to play on Facebook and Ancestry all day long anymore.  I will have to dedicate a certain time frame for that so that I don't get wrapped up into it.  I am a procrastinator most of the time, so my oldest daughter plans to ask me everyday when she gets home if I did my schoolwork.

1 comment:

  1. Your mother will ask you as well ;-) Best of luck in your classes! <3 u!

    ReplyDelete