Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Hoffman Connections

Please remember, as my last post, some dates could be incorrect, as older dates, record keeping wasn't the greatest, if it even existed in the area at all.  Some of the dates I have may be off, as they were either found in personal bible records, or from other sources (census records, and other documents). Also spelling of names varied and sometimes were nothing close to what we know of them to be spelled.   I try to keep everything as accurate as possible, and I document everything I am able to.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Until recently, I had not spent much time tracing my Hoffman line.  I had primarily focused on my Vogan and my Casto lines.  But when I started adding in the information for my Hoffman great grandparents and tracing them back in the census records, I kept getting hits from a private tree for photos.  Photos of people in my family I have never even seen a picture of.  That got me very curious.  I private messaged the owner of that tree and she was very happy to share her tree with me, and pictures.  Turns out she is a wife of a 3rd cousin, 1x removed.

Speaking of that, 1x removed, it took me forever to fully understand what that meant exactly, it always confused the crap out of me.  Basically, that man is my mother's 3rd cousin and he was born a generation away from me, so he's my 3rd cousin 1x removed.

Anyhow, she put me in touch with another cousin, Judy, who sent me a disk of files.   I truly appreciate all the pictures, and records that Judy has given me.  On the disk was pictures of my 4th great grandparents Anton "Anthony" Hoffman and his wife Anna Katherina Munzel Hoffman.
According to the notes with the disk, Anna Kristina was ill when this picture was taken.  

Also on that disk was copies of their birth documentation, passports, information from their children etc. that they needed for travel and marriage.  The documents were written in German, but they also have an English translation.


Anna Katharina Munzel birth


Anton Hofmann birth
So with these documents I also learned both of their parents names as well.   Anna Kristina was the daughter of Jonathan George Munzel (a shepherd) and Anna Elisabeth Schmalz.
Anton was the son of J. Christian Hofmann (a cabinet maker)  and Anna Katharina Zange.

Here is an image that shows where the Hoffmans and where Anna Katharina's family were from.
Most of those records were needed for their trip to America.  I really love the following pictures, the passports have physical descriptions of what they looked like when they prepared for their travel.
Anton's passport
Anna Katherina's passport

Drawing of the boat The Clementine, they travelled on.
In July 1842, Captain Gesselmann grounded the Clementine in the English Channel as she was bound from Bremerhaven to Baltimore with 189 emigrants.  The ship was towed to Dunkirk and repaired.  She set sail again for Baltimore in August 1842.   Source: http://www.fertich.org/clementine1.htm


Baltimore, Passenger Lists, 1820-1964



Anton and Katherina travelled with their infant daughter and also Anton's brother.  The image above shows how often things were spelled differently, their last name was listed as Hoofman on the passenger list.  They arrived in Baltimore, Maryland and promptly headed to their destination, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, they had with them 3 boxes of belongings.  

Anton and Anna Katherina had 8 more children once they arrived and settled in Huntingdon county Pennsylvania: John, Philip (my 3rd great grandfather), Susannah, James, Conrad, Elizabeth, Mary and Sophia.

Anton "Anthony" served in the Civil War in the 3rd Infantry Regiment, for some reason only for 3 months.  I am not sure why, but his entire unit only served for those 3 months before they were recalled back to Pennsylvania and mustered out of service.


After his military term, he was granted Citizenship on April 19th, 1862.  Which I have read when a man was granted citizenship, it also automatically gave his wife and any children born elsewhere the same right as citizens.








Anton passed away on June 4th, 1888 and Anna Katherina sometime in 1893.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


There were several stories on the disk, that were told to their children and grandchildren.  The stories that I will share were recollected by their grand daughter Ada Mae Kough-Bradley.  Ada shared these stories at the first Hoffman reunion in 1930 in Saltillo, PA.  Ava would be my 1st cousin 4x removed.  My great aunt Donna mailed me these exact papers that were given out at that reunion.  Also attached to the papers on the disk is the article that was in the newspaper.  It listed all in attendance at the reunion.  My great grandparents Frank & Ethel Hoffman were there, as well as my 2x great grandparents Fred & Charlotte Hoffman.  Donna also has an old bible I really want to get to see.  It's in German and she says it is very delicate.  I am hoping to visit sometime and be able to scan it & have it translated.   



Ada Mae Bradley


The following is one of the stories recollected by Ada.

Anton & Anna Katherina had many issues on their journey to America.  First the ship, The Clementine,  it lost it's anchor they got stuck in port for a few days while the crew fished the anchor out of the water.  Then once they started on their journey, the ship was bottomed out and taking in water.  It was told that the crew was trying to abandon ship and leave the passengers to their watery death, but a brave man figured out their plan and made them stop.  In total, it took them 4 months to travel from Bremerhaven Germany to Baltimore Maryland. When they left their village of Friedewald, they had a 2 week old baby, Catherina Christina Hoffman.  Due to harsh conditions on the boat, and sickness, sadly she passed away a few weeks after finally arriving in America.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Philip Hoffman

My 3rd great grandfather, Philip Hoffman, 
was born Sept 24, 1875 in Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania.  He married twice in his lifetime.  First to my 3rd great grandmother, Rosanna Bradley on June 2nd, 1872.  She was born in Huntingdon, PA December 4th 1851 and passed away there on December 26, 1886. Together they had 5 children: Nora Elva, Anna Catherine, Laura Virgina, Fredrick Elsworth and George Emerson.

Philip and his father Anton were both listed (living beside each other) on the 1880 Census as farmers. Rosanna's parents lived right on the opposite side of Philip and her, her father was also listed as a farmer.



Family of Rosanna Bradley - she is the 2nd girl from the left standing in the back row


Marriage record of Philip & Rosanna - married June 2nd 1872 at her parents home
Philip second married Emma Wagoneer in 1892. Understandably so, since he had 5 children under the age of 15 to care for, (the youngest only 3 years old) at the time of his wife, my GGG grandmothers' death.  He and Emma had 5 more children, half siblings to my GG Grandfather.  Philip passed away on Jan 11, 1911 in Huntingdon, PA.  
Philip and Emma - his second wife

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Great Great Grandfather Fredrick Elsworth Hoffman was born in Saltillo, Huntingdon, PA on August 13, 1878.  Fred worked on the railroad and I was so thrilled to receive these pictures from cousin Judy.  Here is a picture of him on one of the trains he worked on.   His brother George also worked on the railroad, I am not sure if he is in the picture or not.  If he is, I would say it would need to be one of the two younger boys closer to him in the picture since Fred was 5 years older than him.  I am not aware of the date on this picture, but it would be nice to know.  He appears to be about 40 or so years old.
Zoomed in
I got someone to clean this image up and remove his name from the picture.  So much cleaner than the original.
Fred married Charlotte Ann Sloan (b. Mar 8, 1878) sometime in 1901 according to the 1910 census records. They had 2 children Frank Evan and Philip D Hoffman.
 
Phil & Frank about 1911
Phil, Charlotte & Frank Evan. about 1907






















Another interesting thing that Judy sent me was this postcard that Fred mailed to his half sister Elsie.  Judy told me that the baseball team pictured was the Mapleton team.  I found a similar picture (same players different pose) online and it identified them as the 1909 team.  Only one player was identified on that picture.  Fred would've been 30 years old at that time.  I don't know if he was in this picture or not, but his message to Elsie makes me think that he had some involvement with the team, maybe he played, or knew someone on the team?  Cousin Judy has reached out to the Mapleton town historical society to see if maybe they have a team roster from that year.  Here's to hoping for further answers.






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My great grandfather Frank Hoffman was born on April 24th, 1902 most likely in Mapleton.  His death record says place of birth, Pennsylvania, but his parents both were living in Mapleton in 1900 and together there in 1910.  It is safe to assume he was born there as well.
Frank about 2 yrs old
Frank as a baby.  I adore this picture
.























Since I left off in this place on my Vogan post, with my great grandfather, I will do the same with my Hoffman post.  Look for another post concerning my great grandparents lives later on.

3 comments:

  1. Great job of writing the Hoffman story! Loved reading about my grandparents & their ancestors. Keep on writing, you're great at it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for writing this! I am descended through Anton's son Conrad and this is the most detailed info ive been able to find on them

    ReplyDelete