Total Pageviews

Friday, October 9, 2015

Update

Hello, it has been awhile since my last post. I keep reminding myself to do a post, then I get busy with something else, so it has been neglected. So far my classes are all going well, not as busy as I originally thought I would be, so I manage to stay ahead for the most part. I have a Psychology test to take this weekend, so this will be short as I need to study some more. My kids are enjoying school and tonight we just attended a Fall Festival at my youngest daughter's school, the kids all had fun.

Lately, after school and taking care of the kids & everything, I have been digging into my sister's father's family lines for them. They immigrated from Italy in the early 1900s, and I wasn't quite sure why so many (almost off of the branches so far I traced came from the same place within 20 years) Turns out there was a lot of turmoil going on there at that time, several volcanos erupted forcing people off the land and most of those people were farmers that had no choice but to come to America. It has been nice sharing information and even pictures that I have found with them.

This afternoon I took time to stop at one of the closest cemeteries to photograph some headstones to upload onto Find-A-Grave. I really enjoy doing this. I used to be so uncomfortable going to cemeteries, but now I find it rather peaceful. Today I managed to get about half of this small church's headstones in about an hour, about the time it took for my son to lose his patience with walking around the stones. Since it is so close to me, I plan to return sometime this weekend if the weather holds off. 

I think it is a wonderful website, Find-A-Grave; being able to have an online memorial for your loved one. I am able to "visit" my great grandparents and other family in Pennsylvania and West Virginia, without leaving home, thanks to the many volunteers (and some cousins) who have taken the time to upload their headstones. I think it is a great thing to do, so I try to stop and take pictures of cemeteries from time to time when I have a little extra time.  I have 3 places I need to return to finish up, but they are all out of the way, so I haven't got them done just yet.

Here's a photo (and link to the memorial) of my 3x great grandparents headstone taken by a wonderful volunteer (spanielfam F.A.G. profile) in Pennsylvania.









Until another day....


2 comments:

  1. Great blog! Nice to see my grandparent's headstone. I haven't been there since we buried Gram. I'm so proud of you and the work that you're doing. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks mom. I really enjoy it. Just learning new things about our ancestors makes me happy, and it never ends, since new information is released all the time

    ReplyDelete