Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

The Mystery of my 2X great grandmother

It has been some time since I have been able to post, but I finally finished up all my classes for fall semester. Mostly A's but I do believe I will have a final grade of B in my Intro to Psych class. Now that i am able to get back into my research again I am puzzled yet again by a particular woman.

My 2x great grandmother Charlotte Ann (Sloan) Hoffman. I have records for her marriage to her husband, and I have the names of her parents from her death records. However the issue is, I can not link her to her parents in any other records. The censuses in which she should've been living at home with her parents she's not listed. I have gotten aggravated in the past for not being able to find her prior to marrying her husband, but I put it on the back burner then to come back to with a clearer head. Here's to hoping I can make some breakthrough this time.

I have 2 possible birth years for her 1878 and 1881. If 1881 is correct she will not appear on any census until 1900. She married her husband in 1901, and is on the 1910 census with him and their sons. In the 1880 census her parents and her 2 half sisters (her mothers first husband died in the Civil War and left her a widow with two young daughters) are listed, but not her. It is very possible her age was bumped back in order to marry early, as it was VERY common back then. Charlotte would have been 19-22 years old in the 1900 census. Not married, which means she should've been either at home with her parents, possibly living with other relatives, or less often the norm then, living alone and working.

Her parents were James D. Sloan and Leah Rhodes, both from Pennsylvania, and they lived in the Huntingdon area. Leah had previously married Solomon Lemmon, but he was killed during the Civil War. Leah's other daughters were Sarah Catherine & Margaret Ann Lemmon. I am still working on connecting each of James and Leah's parents to my tree, as I hadn't previously done much on this family line.

In order to figure out where Charlotte was, I will have to track each of her grandparents and both of these half sisters. IF I don't find her there, I guess I will need to keep digging. I hope to solve this mystery for myself. She surely was a beautiful woman, I wish I had more pictures of her.

Pictured here is Charlotte and her sons Phil on the left and Frank on the right. Frank was my Great Grandfather. This picture was taken (my estimation) about 1907 based on the approximate ages of her sons.

My littlest one is napping and that is such a rare occurrence so I think I will take this time to get some Christmas presents wrapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment